Our county has never seen faster growth. 95% of this growth is outside of Brentwood. Williamson County is challenged to fund all these education demands.  The county must address the needs of new capacity over that of Brentwood students. What will this mean for our community? 

  #AskTheQuestions #GetTheAnswers #FeasibilityStudy

KNOW THE BASICS

1) THE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS & SCHOOL BOARD ARE FACING A CHALLENGING SITUATION

We love Williamson County Schools.  They are the pride of our community and the reason so many of us moved to Brentwood.  The accomplishments of Williamson County and the School Board are astounding and deserve our praise. But the County is in a challenging position where our growth is putting pressure on our resources as evident in the County Commission's recent decision to cut the Williamson County Schools Operational Budget by $5 million. The County Commission’s lack of long-term planning towards adequate school funding across Williamson County is cause for concern, especially in light of the county’s rapid growth.

 

2) WILLIAMSON COUNTY GROWTH IS OUTSIDE OF BRENTWOOD

Brentwood & Ravenwood zones represent approximately 5% of  future development in Williamson County.  Independence, Nolensville, Page & Summit represent the remaining 95% of the growth.

 

3) MORE GROWTH IS COMING

There are new developments still in the planning stage such as the Mayes Creek Development (presented to Franklin in June 2017) which could possibly add 1,400 residential units on 490 acres that would feed the Page school zone. 

 

4) THE COUNTY'S CAPITAL INVESTMENT WILL PRIORITIZE FUNDING FOR NEW STUDENT CAPACITY

Williamson County school system will need about $420 million over 5 years for 12 new schools, additions, and renovations. Brentwood is  about 27% of financial contributions to Williamson county schools but our students are about 24% of enrollment. 

Of the $420 million capital budget, 15-20% will be invested in Brentwood.  BMS is 45 years old,  Scales 40, BHS 35, and Crockett Elementary is 27 years old. (The useful life of a school building is 40 years.)  Funding will be scarce and the capital for student capacity will, understandably, be a priority over capital needs for renovations or school replacement.  So what does that mean for the BMS replacement, for example?  Will it get funded for a 2021 opening date or will it take until 2027 or beyond?

 

5) COUNTY PROPERTY TAXES WILL MOST CERTAINLY INCREASE

If the county decided to fund school capital needs, using only property taxes, we could see a substantial increase in the amount of county property taxes we pay every year.  Are our county property taxes going to increase almost 50%, per the county commission estimate, or more than double over the next 10 years, as per one county commissioner?   

 

OUR KEY POINT:

The pressure caused by the growth in our County isn't going away. Many community members feel that it is time to consider alternative solutions to ensure that Brentwood students are given the support to thrive.

We can't say whether a city school system is right.  This is why we are asking for a feasibility study. With comprehensive information, we can form reasonable opinions and make an informed decision.

#Askthequestions

#GEttheanswers 

#BrentwoodFeasibilityStudy

Contact your City Commissioners to share your thoughts and opinions.